Some say, that the final 6.2 in a marathon is when the real challenge lies. Although, as many of you may testify, there are some days where things are plain screwy from the start. Well, if you find yourself stuck in a rut, here are some things you can try:
- Break your race up into bite sized segments, and just focus on making it to the next marker.
- Engage in self-talk. Say things to yourself like, “I’ll have water in 5 minutes. That will make me feel a lot better.
- Imagine that you have a cord attached to the runner ahead of you, and that he or she is pulling you along like a magnet.
- Run alongside the most attractive person around you that you think you might want to impress.
- If you are a seasoned runner, remind yourself that you’ve done it once, and there is no reason why you shouldn’t be able to do it again.
- Tell yourself that all you have to do is to catch a second or third wind.